Thursday 12 February 2015

Love yourself this Valentine's Day

















Valentine's Day has conjured up a multitude of feelings for me over the years, at school it went from a day that was just simply nothing to do with me, to one that bought feelings of embarrassment.

I remember the 'popular girls' at school would receive cards and gifts and make a huge deal out of the day. I remember thinking it was so odd, why would anyone at 12 years old celebrate Valentine's Day?

A late bloomer to some, I didn't kiss a boy until I was 16 years old and had my first boyfriend at 17. I remember my Mom buying me a Valentine's card one year, and a friend writing me one another.

As I went through late teens, I began to take more notice of Valentine's day and either embraced it whole heartedly, or would avoid it like the plague, as I thought it just highlighted the fact I was single and feeling sorry for myself.

Of course, this was all a load of rubbish. I dealt with break ups badly and I made a huge fuss of being single, condemning myself to loneliness forever at the age of 19. Looking back this was so childish, I really shouldn't have spent so much time crying over boys!

Now slightly older and wiser at 25, I don't feel as though Valentine's Day is really anything other than an occasion for restaurants and card shops to profit from. Of course, my boyfriend and I will buy each other a card and maybe have something nice for dinner, but I don't think about it like I used to at all.

Valentine's Day should be about having fun with the people you love, whether you spend it with family, friends or your partner. Make it fun, ignore it, or simply watch a film on the sofa. But don't dwell on it or think it is anything more than it is.

This year I have purchased some fun Valentine's treats and have picked out some beauty products from my collection. Doll yourself up and make yourself feel glam, because loving yourself and boosting your own confidence should be a top priority!

Pictured above:
Red roses: Lidl
Heart place mat & coaster: Poundland
Heart cupcake: Sainsburys
Chocolate heart lollipop: Sainsburys
Heart multi-wick candle: Sainsburys
Red strap heels: New Look
Glass tea light holder: Ikea
Nail polish: Nails Inc 'St James'
Lipstick (left to right & swatches top to bottom): L'oreal Color Riche 325 Feeric Fuschia, Maybelline Color Sensational 540 Hollywood Red, MAC Ladybug
Lipgloss: Bourjois 3D Effect 06 Rouge democratic
Eyeshadow:Bourjois Smoky Eyes 01 gris dandy


Whatever you decide to do this Valentine's Day, have fun!

jessica d x





All photographs are our own. We own all rights to our photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment